Wednesday, July 3, 2013

White/Wedding

I know very little about indecision. I am the most textbook Taurus you'll ever meet; generally once I have an idea, I stick with it full steam and trust my initial instinct. So it was an unnerving experience for me to be crippled with indecision over PAINT COLOR. I had planned to do a mix of lavender and grey walls. Then when I saw my gold mirror go up I had an entirely new vision. 
The mirror was hung on the unpainted wall, which was white. It reminded me of a frame for an archival piece of art in a museum. It commands attention and I wanted to oblige. I started feeling an all white space where my clients would claim center stage, framed by my massive gold mirror. The walls are Martha Stewart (Glidden) Heavy Cream in an eggshell. I was supremely impressed with how well the paint covered the walls that were covered in stains and blemishes. 

This is what it looked like before:

This piece is great as a second styling station because it is thin and came with a mirror! I thought it was best to do an all white piece instead of try to match another gold mirror. 
How it looked before. The guy who sold it to me told me he never would have sold had he known I was going to paint it. An attitude I despise with antiques but that's another post. 
The hardware has such intricate detail. It's solid brass! A find for sure. I polished with salt and lemon juice. 
Once the mirror was hung it was reminding me of something so specific, but I couldn't put my finger on it. After it was up a few days I had an epiphany: 
Cinderella's coach! See it?


Here in Columbus we have a 4th of July firework display called Red, White, and Boom! This bride is having her wedding tonight downtown overlooking the show. It was fun to have my first bride in the new salon! She did a birdcage veil which I think is a great look. It was wonderful to be able to comfortably accommodate me, the bride, her family, a makeup artist, a photographer, and a videographer. In my old salon I never could have had so many people in my room at once. 

16 comments:

  1. I spy baby Barbie in one of the before pics!! What a transformation you have orchestrated ... I'll bet you feel like Cinderella's fairy godmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes!! I'm definitely Cinderella's fairy god mother for antiques! And sad plants that are half dead and 75% off :)

      Delete
  2. I love the simplicity and elegance of the space in your new salon. Your good taste buds always come through.

    ps
    the picture you were referring to....that is "snow on the mountain," a ground cover that grows like a weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I looked it up and I'm convinced I need to grow it!!

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely amazing transformation. You turned a commonplace office space into a place of beauty and peace. The nice thing is, with the wall color being such a warm tone, even on the gloomiest day it will look bright, cheerful and open in there. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's so true! We've had several dark, grey days and I think it's my favorite time in the salon...the walls look so buttery.

      Delete
  4. Stephen - It is looking SOOOO good. I think that when you purchase a piece of furniture you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Painted? Big deal...if you want you can always strip it down again someday. You are right- that mirror looks like Cinderella's coach.
    Nice job with the bride's hair. My parents were married on the 4th of July!
    Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What a great anniversary for your parents! I'm sure with you they got very accustomed to fireworks! Haha! Yes I think it's so odd for him to have told me that...if it's a piece he loved so much "as is" why was it sitting dusty and dirty in an antique store?! Happy 4th :)

      Delete
  5. i am speechless.
    and for me that is something. LOL
    oh stephen andrew...
    this is wonderful. such a mundane word for
    beauty and style and grace and a modern edge that is perfection.
    oh! i love it.
    turns out i'm not speechless afterall.
    and to see babie barbi gibson not even taller than the ladder on its side... priceless.
    and the lovely 'not too placed' bridal chignon... very french and very lovely.
    kudos darling! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It's such a happy little place :) I know I'm so happy Barbie wandered into the picture!! She never wants to miss what's going on!

      Delete
  6. I love the white! What a pretty salon, so clean and the antique pieces add so much charm and beauty.

    Agree about the attitude keeping pieces unpainted. Some of the prettiest furniture from Europe and even early American furniture as well have been painted for centuries.

    Barbie has the cutest little shape, she is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Exactly! So much more important that a piece continue to "live" than sit around unpainted!

      Delete
  7. I love what you did with your space, you were right on with the color change, everything compliments everything... and the soft palette is calming and energizing at the same time. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Means a lot coming from you, you know your off-whites :)

      Delete
  8. That is a beautiful paint colour. It's light, bright and airy. I'm taking note of it!

    You've done a great job with the salon. And that antique? It looks miles better after than before. It's like it's been resurrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes I loooove the color. It's warm without being yellowy

      Delete