Saturday, August 24, 2013

High Summer

This is my favorite part of summer. It's so close to being over that every day feels more important. The bloom of the goldenrod is my very favorite natural phenomena (I guess it doesn't take much to woo me) and it's getting closer every day. And... 
The tomatoes! They are at their very best right now. I loaded up the other day at the Farmer's Market. 
The corn! 
And I also made some fabulous stuffed zucchini (inspired by Karen at This Old House Too) but mine turned out far too ugly to photograph. 
Also made this cheesecake recently...of course the one time I plan to put a topping on a cheesecake it comes out perfectly smooth 
The fruit on top was a very easy and delicious sauce. Just fresh fruit, 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar, 1 Tablespoon whisky. I used Middlewest Spirits OYO Whisky which is distilled right here in Columbus.  Let sit at least 6 hours. Alcohol is a conductor of flavor and really amplifies the taste of the berries. Not too syrupy. 
I got this LED pink collar for Barbie so she no longer disappears at night.  
This is turning out to be another very haphazard post. 
Got my very first bloom from the 'Elizabeth Taylor' hybrid tea rose I planted in May. 

Also, I'm really trying to become a better gardener not a better shopper so I'm hoping to learn more about propagation. These are rose cuttings taken from a friend's beautiful rose garden. I started them about a month ago, I'm not sure if they'll root or not. 

12 comments:

  1. Go for the garden. Barbie looks so grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three dishes look so beautiful and delicious! I have never made a cheesecake that looked that good! I pretty much swore off of making them for that reason. Including Barbie in a food post is never random! Wonder what she thinks of her new collar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! My best tip is to drop it on the counter a few times before putting in the oven, gets out the air bubbles. From there I bake in a water bath at 375 for 15 min then 300 for 45 min

      Delete
  3. Oh, good luck with the roses! I am propagating fiddle leaf figs on the patio this summer but they are super simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks wonderful! Keep us up to date on the propagation roses, too, I've always wanted to do them but never had the confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'm at a 33% success rate which isn't too bad.

      Delete
  5. LOLOL!!!
    do you not know by now that a random post from you is superior to no post at all!
    your random posts are wonderful.
    and i agree with cindy above.
    they HAVE to have a barbie in them!
    i wish you weren't so busy. could read and delight in your scrumptious pictures every day.
    and.. never thought of barbie disappearing at night... but she would ... being the color of night itself!
    love the idea of a bit of whiskey in the fruit topping. perfect touch.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much!! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose propagation is really easy, Darling. If I can do it, anyone can ... it's not rocket science. You've seen my tutorial, haven't you? (If there are no roots showing through the jar with all that red new growth on the cutting on the right, that particular cutting may be a goner. If it is, just try again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't!! I need to look it up. Yes I think the official ruling is that 2/3 didn't root. But I'm happy to get one.

      Delete