Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hoarding vs Collecting

I'll admit, I walk the tightrope between the two. This morning I felt more like a hoarder. 
One of my clients is going to be hosting a charity event in her home and she mentioned that she wished she had more silver serving pieces because the event is around Valentine's Day and she wanted to do a big table full of candy on silver trays and bowls. I told her I'd be thrilled to loan her my silver. 
This is good because it forced me to polish it all at the same time and assess what I realistically wanted to keep. I'm trying to comb through my collections and objectively (as possible for me) decide whether I want to keep things or not. I never pay much for silver and often think it's worth gambling a few bucks on a very tarnished piece and trying to revive it. I don't know why but I find polishing silver to be incredibly satisfying. Any of you who are therapists-please chime in. 
Anyway I can't help but feel sad when I see neglected silver in antique stores. What I need to stop doing is buying it. I have enough. My silver collecting days are over. Or at least numbered. Or at least I'm going to try. 
Looks like a million bucks. There are only three pieces that cost more than $35. The dome, the champagne bucket and the little ice bucket to the right of the dome. The dome was a gift from my parents this Christmas. 
It is engraved Stronger than Thou. A particularly confident and slightly arrogant Englishman must have commissioned it. My mom knows it's English and very old. I'm trying to find more history on it but having trouble. I looooooooooooove it. First I was speechless and then I wanted to roast a turkey to put underneath it. 
Goodwill does not accept very badly tarnished silver with chipping or pitting so I just had to get rid of some. 
AH I can't look. I checked and in most cases silver plated items are able to be recycled. Truth be told, this silver was no longer pretty or safe to serve from. 
I only have a few New Year's resolutions this year. One of them is very broad scope: be realistic. So as the year goes on I will be combing through my collections weeding out the stuff that might land me on Hoarders. Sometimes stuff is just stuff. 

27 comments:

  1. Love this post, as I have some of the same "collecting" issues. My trigger items are vintage plates, tableclothes, tea towels, and cloth napkins. But seeing your gorgeous collection makes me think I should start collecting silver, because yours looks so beautiful and elegant. That champagne bucket is TO DIE FOR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ohhhh vintage plates are hard to pass up... Yes I just love silver!!

      Delete
  2. I am a reformed silver-collector (among many other things) so I feel your pain. Seeing those rejected plates in your recycling - ouch. I've had some pieces re-plated, but the cost now over-rides the payout. I have to admit you're probably doing the right thing by chucking them, sadly. Sometimes too much is just TOO MUCH. I only cave for sterling now, doesn't that sound pretentious?

    I love to polish silver, too. It's satisfying beyond belief. In fact, I think it IS therapy LOL! No need to over-analyze things!

    Love the Barbie pics - hope you're staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no! Sterling really is meant to be treated as an heirloom. It is incredibly satisfying isn't it?? How is Odin?! WHERE ARE THE UPDATES? :)

      Delete
  3. Love your silverware collection! I love pretty things but hate clutter, so I'm always torn between collecting or not collecting. This post sure made me want to have my own silver! Another thing I would possibly consider collecting is antique white ironstone plates and pitchers. What do you use to polish your silver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Oh I love ironstone. I either dip my silver in arm & hammer super washing soda and salt with aluminum foil or use Wright's silver polish. Yes it's definitely a hard balance to strike between clutter and collection!

      Delete
  4. I hear you, Stephen. I have a lot of silver, too. Quite a bit of it is inherited from hubby's family. That domes piece is FANTASTIC! I absolutely love it- you must have about fell over when you saw that! Your Mom did good-very, very good!

    Hope you are having a lot better weather than we are- We are supposed to get above ZERO tomorrow- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes my mom did an incredible job! Oh our weather is divine now. But I lost power Monday when it was -10! Yuck!

      Delete
  5. All your silver pieces are BEAUTIFUL....and the dome is exceptional. You are a very lucky person to have a Mom with such great taste.

    I love silver as well. I have a passion (addiction) to collect silver plated tea sets. I have found a way to justify having 5 tea sets...I intend to give each one of my children a tea set when they grow up and keep one for myself...not bad huh???

    What silver polish product do you use?

    I use Weiman Silver Cream...my Mom and I rave about it...it takes off the tarnish effortlessly and it prevents tarnish from appearing too quickly.

    Now I've got to polish my own silver...thanks for the reminder.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Oh I am SO lucky! My mom is the only person who always gets me perfect gifts that are a total suprise. I haven't ever used Weimans. But I'll try it! I use Wright's which I'm very happy with. Have you ever used it? Maybe I'll have to do a side-by-side. I also dip silver sometimes too. It works really well for pieces with light tarnish.

      Delete
    2. Oh and I love the idea of your tea sets! I don't have one of those. The ones I love are sort of Art Deco style and usually way to expensive for me! I'd love to see your collection!

      Delete
  6. That is some collection! I'm with you, it's time to clean out all the things we don't need or use. Barbie looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It really is easier said than done, isn't it? Thanks-Barbie is a great model :)

      Delete
  7. The Dome is beautiful!!... as is your collection. I am not one of those who likes to polish the silver, however, and my collection is minimal because of that one detail. I'm not even gonna try to read in to that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well you have too much going on as it is to polish silver!

      Delete
  8. Stephen, thank you for dropping by my blog so I could come back over and find you here. I've only read this one post - and I'm hooked! I too, walk a fine line between hoarding and collecting. I don't collect silver - love the look, don't have the time to make sure it's well cared for - but I've got my own vices. I can't wait to read more of your beautiful blog! Your newest follower, adding you to the sidebar at Color Outside the Lines!
    xoxo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all have our crosses in life to bear...your collection is quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your puppers. You and I have a few startling similarities. Well, they'd be startling for you since I'm a middle-aged woman from the midwest and you'd never guess yes?

    I'm falling in love with you! Is that bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Not bad at all, thank you...at least someone, somewhere is! This blog doesn't accurately depict just how intolerable I can be! Are you a silver collector too?

      Delete
    2. I'm a tad intolerable at times as well. I'm going to say you are never boring yes? Interesting people are never a flat road.

      So, for me, I frequently apologize in advance for anything I may say during the rest of the evening. I still get a lot of eye-rolling from my daughters. Ha!

      I don't collect silver, but a few other things that I'm totally obsessive about. But your silver is so gorgeous and how great is it when you pull it out to use for pretty? Love love love.

      Delete
  11. Ahh, silver and cute dogs, two of my weaknesses! Barbie is too cute and my dogs would have been seeking a hiding spot by the end of the night too, and I love your silver...don't ever part with that champagne bucket or dome, they are hard to come by these days!

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No worries there...I would never ever let those out of my possession!

      Delete
  12. I don't collect silver, but I definitely have too many things. I am slowly trying to get rid of STUFF. It's hard to do but feels so great when it's gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I've been trying to assess all my cooking equipment. Now that I don't cater I simply don't need all of it. But I still think it's hard to give up!

      Delete